The Minnesota Crop Improvement Association (MCIA) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Lab Technician. The incumbent will check in certification and service seed samples, prepare applicable worksheets and sample envelopes, and mix and divide submitted samples in accordance with seed testing rules for purity testing. The incumbent will prepare media and germination reagents, and will plant samples in accordance with seed testing rules for germination. The selected individual will be involved in other lab functions, and will assist with the proper use and maintenance of lab equipment and with certification grow-out activities.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary and full benefits. The position is housed at the MCIA Office, which is located on the St. Paul campus of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process necessary paperwork and assist in maintaining records to support OECD, AOSCA, and MCIA programs.
- Check in submitted samples and prepare applicable reading worksheets and sample envelopes for testing.*
- Mix and divide submitted samples in accordance with seed testing rules for purity testing.*
- Prepare media and plant samples in accordance with seed testing rules for germination testing.*
- Prepare chemical reagents for germination testing as needed.*
- Assist in germination and purity testing of samples.
- Wash germination boxes and buckets upon completion of tests.*
- File completed samples in cold storage and dispose of previously stored samples as needed.
- Use and maintain lab equipment properly.
- Assist with seed certification grow-out activities.*
- Assist in training and provide direction to part-time staff.
- Serve on specified MCIA or other assigned committees.
- Perform other miscellaneous seasonal duties, as required.
* Essential functions
- High School diploma or GED required.
- B.S. in agronomy or agriculture-related field.
- Knowledgeable of seed testing procedures.
- Knowledgeable of certification standards and procedures.
- Basic understanding of Quality Management Systems.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, highly self-motivated.
- Solid math and analytical skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Accurate, efficient, and detail oriented.
- Willingness to travel, primarily within Minnesota. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Promote good work ethic, positive attitude, and teamwork environment.
- Promote and ensure excellence in customer service.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Fawad Shah, MCIA, 1900 Hendon Ave, Saint Paul MN 55108. This position is open until filled.
Minnesota Crop Improvement Association is an EEO employer.