The Minnesota Crop Improvement Association (MCIA) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Seed Technologist. The incumbent will conduct purity, germination, and other tests on certification and service seed samples. The Seed Technologist will evaluate results to determine conformance to certification standards. The Seed Technologist will assist the Laboratory Manager in maintaining a Quality Management System and will be involved in grow-out activities on the campus of the University of Minnesota, Saint Paul.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary and full benefits. The position is housed at the MCIA Office located at 1900 Hendon Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Possess and exercise advanced knowledge of the seed testing rules for a variety of seed kinds, including agronomic, vegetable, and native species.*
- Exercise consistent discretion and judgment in seed testing evaluations.*
- Conduct purity, germination, vigor, tetrazolium, herbicide bioassay, and other tests on certification and service samples according to current AOSA, ISTA, and Canadian seed testing rules.*
- Evaluate results to determine seed lot conformance to certification standards.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of Quality Management System (QMS) for the lab.
- Assist with seed certification grow-out activities.
- Assist in training and provide direction to part-time staff.
- Advise clients about MCIA requirements and test results; respond to customer inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Process necessary paperwork and assist in maintaining records to support OECD, AOSCA, and MCIA programs.
- Serve on specified MCIA, SCST, or other assigned committees.
- Responsible for proper use, assist with calibration and maintenance of lab equipment.*
- Perform miscellaneous duties, as required.
* Essential functions
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Knowledgeable of seed testing procedures.
- B.S. in agronomy or agriculture-related field.
- Knowledgeable of certification standards and procedures.
- Possess recognized AOSA/SCST certifications in seed germination and/or purity testing, or willingness to pursue certification in the first two years of employment.
- Basic understanding of Quality Management Systems.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, highly self-motivated.
- Solid math and analytical skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Accurate, efficient and detail oriented.
- Ability to travel, including some overnight travel; must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to walk long distances in outdoor field conditions.
- Ability to occasionally lift 60 pounds.
- Promote good work ethics, positive attitude, and teamwork environment.
- Promote and ensure excellence in customer service.
How to Apply:
For full consideration, interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Fawad Shah, MCIA, 1900 Hendon Ave, Saint Paul MN 55108.
Minnesota Crop Improvement Association is an EEO employer.